Thursday 25 August 2011

Moving

    My father's work forces us to move every year or two and it's always to some far away place where I have no friends and I haven't even visited before. Therefore, I've moved quite a lot of times in my life and almost always to a different country. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have lived in 7 different countries: Canada, The United States, England, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and now France. Fortunately all the countries we moved to spoke mostly English so there wasn't much of a language barrier until we moved to France. My father's Russian and my mother's Swede but I don't know how to speak either of their native languages! All I know is English and a bit of French, haha. 
    
    I was born in Monaco (I kind of counted Monaco as France so I said 7 countries but Monaco is its own principality so I guess I've actually lived in 8 countries, not 7) and the first time we moved from there was when I was 3 to London, England. We moved from London to Cape Town, South Africa when I was 5 then from South Africa to Cottesloe near Perth, Australia when I was still 5 (a few months later). We moved away to New York when I was 8 and then to Anchorage, Alaska when I was 10. We moved to Tauranga, New Zealand when I was 13 and then to Toronto, Canada when I was 14. Finally, we moved to France about a month ago at 15.  
  
    Here's a simpler version:
  1. 1996 - Monte-Carlo, Monaco    
  2. 1999 - London, England
  3. 2001 - Cape Town, South Africa
  4. 2001 - Perth, Australia
  5. 2004 - New York, USA
  6. 2006 - Anchorage, USA
  7. 2009 - Tauranga, New Zealand 
  8. 2010- Toronto, Canada
  9. 2011 - France
    I know reading all this you must be like "Oh my gosh doesn't she ever get to rest!?" well it's not as bad as it sounds; I mean 2 years is enough time to settle in. The worst part of having to move so often is that you never get to make any close friends. I've been the "new girl" my entire life which isn't always a bad thing but I never get to talk about things we've done in the past together with my friends. It's always a clean new slate each and every time. There's always someone asking about your weird North American-British-South African-Australian-New Zealand accent, hahaha. Moving isn't completely awful though. It's fun to move into different houses with a new atmosphere, and by the time you're starting to get bored of it... We move again!     


~ Aurelia Maude
                

9 comments:

Julie Ann Lozada said...

It isn't easy for anyone to pack up and leave everything that is familiar and try to fit into a new environment. But it's especially hard during a time in your life when there are already so many physical and emotional changes taking place.

well, the good thing is you can travel around the world! lol!

It's a GIRL Thing

kath said...

wow, you've been to many great places i wish i can visit in my lifetime :) yes, moving can suck but great at the same time :)

Preity Lama Tamang said...

omg! i would love to move to France!! But so true it sucks to move..ive moved from my country like 4 years ago and its still hard for me!!
xx

mishuella said...

i have to move as well, and i don't feel like moving... i want to finish my school with my friends ...

MYSTYLEVISION said...

Thanks for you lovely comment and for following! I'm following you back right now.

Wauw! Sounds great you've seen a lot of beautiful places I'm jealous!

When you're ever moving to the Netherlands let me know:).

xoxo

CLU from MYSTYLEVISION

Sam said...

How exciting! Which was your favourite of all the countries you've lived in?

Im hoping SA ;)

Aurelia said...

Thanks for the comments everyone :D !

To Sam: My favourite country I've lived in was probably New Zealand since I got to go swimming at the beach everyday after school, haha. I can't say much about South Africa because I was pretty young when we lived there (and only for a few months) so I only remember bits and pieces of it.

Costin M said...

wow, you sure moved a lot. but i believe it can be a great experience as well, because you do get to see different cultures, meet different people, and see beautiful places.

Costin M.

Jane Reggievia said...

wow lady! is it hard to you? I mean the moving time? I'm sure you have so many friends come from different country! when I was moving to this country, I was like complaining about the place, people, food and anything, I used to hate this place, but now I got into the habit of living here. I should learn from you, really. wish u luck on the new place, bonjourrr madame! :D

JANE FROM THE BLOG